Thursday, June 16, 2005

Desolate


Something from my Krakow notebook, which kind of matches my mood today...

Katowice: On the train back to Krakow. Evening. Between the coal-mining/processing plants and the suburban railway station...six blokes leaning against a wall, between the railway line and yet another set of derelict industrial buildings -- all displaced bricks and jagged-glassed, metal-framed windows. The blokes with beer bottles, woolly caps, echoes of West European street/urban dress styles. Unreal MTV wardrobe. Posturing for a video that'll never be made.

I don't think I've ever seen so many decaying, part-demolished buildings in so small a space. Christ, it's depressing.

It's been raining, and the sky's still overcast. The evening is coming down prematurely because of all the cloud and dirt. Katowice isn't pretty. For the first time on this trip, the general decrepitude and run--downness makes my heart sink (rather than appearing interesting/characterful/historically revealing).

It's as if an entire industrial age is collapsing and crumbling back into the earth: brick by brick, building by building. An overwhelming atmosphere of decay. Signal boxes that look like forts in enemy territory; outposts against hordes of hoodied barbarians. Badlands. Ashy wastelands. Wild, abandoned zones of drink, drugs, gangs, rape, glue-sniffing, unremarked death.

It's getting cool now, with the sun invisible and low behind the clouds. You can feel the rain coming, see it in that flat, 'white-between-slate-grey-clouds' light. In the gloomy carriage interior, the drunks who seemed amusing earlier now seem threatening, and the empty seats look ominous rather than luxuriously spacious.

Fences, gates, locks, dogs, ashy earth. Deathly. Gloomy.

Abandoned buffers in old sidings -- the tracks long gone. Weeds where the rails used to be. Shit.

As the light faded under that cloudy sky, that sense of desolation became almost frenzied. As if I was in the grip of a strange, unbidden, panicky fear. A most peculiar feeling, like a panic attack. Every rain-soaked, ashy house yard looked like the end of someone's sad, impoverished life; and every puddled mud track curving off into the woods took on the aspect of a path to World War Two killing site.

This evening, feeling like this, and tired, and wanting to get home, and knowing what I know about history, Poland feels like a country -- and a landscape -- that has death hovering over it in the rain and the rising mist. Drear and desolate.


Ho hum. If my life was a country, at the moment it would be Poland.

Bollocks. I wonder if I might be 'clinically' depressed? I've been anhedonic for weeks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I wonder if you feel this way because of the environments you chose to visit. It would be extremely difficult to feel unhappy on a beautiful Fijian beach with its clear blue waters.....

Andy said...

seems like a reasonable supposition! i think the rule is that i'm not allowed to have fun... ;-)

Andy said...

re: that stupid 'clinically depressed' line: only if you use the rare definition of 'clincally depressed' as "self-obsessed, self-deluding, weak-willed numpty".

I won't use that definition any more. Instead, I'll do something about and make some changes...

red one said...

Anon got there just ahead of me.

*on the imaginary psychiatrist's couch* "So... you are feeling depressed... and have you been considering the holocaust a lot lately...?"

Obviously I am not suggesting you should never think about it - "never forget" goes with "Never Again" in my book. But it doesn't help anything to think about it all the time.

And while I'm sounding patronising: I think you're sometimes a bit hard on yourself. It isn't actually a moral failing to feel depressed... There should be a cheery coda at this point. But sadly my mind's gone blank.

RedOne

Andy said...

you're right red. the cheery coda is me stopping feeling like a powerless victim and taking control of some things in my life. i started doing that today, and it felt good. :-)

red one said...

did you kill your boss?

;-)

RedOne

Andy said...

Ha! Ironically, my boss is one of the best things about my job: she's an outstanding individual. There have been some other jobs where that would have helped, though: I remember back in 1982... [shut up, Andy]