Thursday, September 29, 2005

North


If you're in the northern hemisphere, you should make an effort to take a look at the sky at night at the moment: the big winter constellations are wheeling into view. This morning (about 5:45 in the English midlands) Orion was absolutely spectacular in the south-eastern sky, flanked by the pale ghost of the Milky Way. It's a real privilege to live somewhere without light pollution. There was a big red star/planet almost overhead...I don't know what it was. If I get the chance, I'll train the binoculars on it.

On these clear, crisp mornings, in the dark, the stars are icy and white. The trees are silhouetted against the deep blue pre-dawn sky. You can almost imagine that the universe is whispering to you as you tilt your head back and try to take in the massive view: the sound of the cool breeze stroking its way across your straining ears, and the sense of some deep message that's just inaudible, but which you know is important and profound.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's called M42/M43...

Andy said...

Ah, two of my favourite motorways...

;-)

Anonymous said...

I have downloaded a sort of planetarium/stellarium software thingy and that's where I got the idea...

Andy said...

I want one. For a Mac.

Anonymous said...

Okay mate, I'll see if I can find the address/link and send it orf forthwith... forthwith... now there's a nice woody word

Anonymous said...

Ute says you should chuck in your present job and earn a living as a nature photographer / calendar compiler...! She likes your seaside pics too. ;-))

Andy said...

That's kind. I'll give it some thought...let's see how my lottery numbers do tonight... ;-)