Tuesday, May 16, 2006

C i r c l e s


I suspect that if you looked back at this blog for this time last year, there'd be a post about "...how, at this time of year last year, I probably posted a post about how, at this time of year last year, I posted a post about how, at this time of year, I come back to life and start noticing things again. Sensing things again. With my senses..."

And so it is again this year. Something to do with my puny human body responding to the mighty cues of light and exploding flora all around me.

Something I noticed yesterday, which felt very precious, and which ping the first epiphany of May around my head: re-noticing how touching and human the smell of the bathroom is just after someone else has come out after their morning ablute; in this case, my 84-year old stepfather - different soap, different shaving stuff, same toothpaste, different clothes smells. All those little tugs of poignancy and reminders of how short the time is, all tickling at the fine hairs inside your nostrils and stimulating your brain into that bitter-sweet state of wry happy/sadness.

No comments: