Saturday, November 11, 2006

Six Feet Under


Courtesy of LoveFilm, I'm working my way through season 5 (or series 5, as we'd probably say in my country) of Six Feet Under. This has to be the most consistently excellent TV series ever offered - unless you know different? Over five years, the characters have all changed in different ways, while retaining something of the essentials that they started with - this is a messy programme, without neat resolutions. Sure, people say things that sound profound and over-thought periodically, but people do that in real life, don't they? (I know I do - I think about things and concoct little sentences to bring out at appropriate moments, usually under the influence of alcohol, and when I want to impress people with the depth and gravity of my thought.).

Anyway. There's a section in episode 8 (?) where all the concurrent stories (drawing upon everything you know about these peoples' history and character from the previous series) kind of focus together, and everybody's feeling confused/upset/uncertain, and the editor cuts between shots of people sitting/lying awake looking unhappy or distressed, over a soundtrack of k d lang and Jane Silberry singing the latter's Calling All Angels - with its lyric about needing help, and not being able to understand how the world can be like it is, and how to be. And it's just beautifully judged and executed. Lovely.

You'd tell me if I overused italics, wouldn't you?

No comments: