Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Numb bum.

I've had a geeky evening, thinking about how to build a little website where my creative writing class (CWC) and I can post our exercises (and the pieces we work on after the course). I want to be able to keep up with them, and build a place where we can share work/criticism/support/contacts etc.

So...I'm trialling different site structures and technologies, hoping to come across a combination that (a) works, and (b) is within my technical capabilities. (b) is the problem: I started my working life in corporate IT, and did some pretty technical jobs. I also edited programming/web design books for a few years. But I can't escape the fact that I'm an impatient dilettante - I want to be able to make this thing quickly, and I want it to look good, and I want it to be whizzy in the technical/usability senses. But i just don't have the in-built skills. I don't want to have to read a book, for goodness' sake - I want it all to happen RIGHT NOW. Instead, after hours of trying things out in Flash and Dreamweaver, I've got an ugly page with one little button: when you press it, a text document is supposed to load into a box on the right of the screen. And does it? Does it expletive.

Patience, patience. Back to the drawing board (and the bookshop).
Life is too short for this pfaffing around.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~andycorsham/index.html

Grrrrrrrrr. Must focus on how satisfying it'll feel when I get it (or even bits of it to work.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I'm very incompetent -- technically. But I am good at 'dogged perseverence in the face of overwhelming evidence that my efforts are doomed'. So I'll have another crack tonight.
:op

Andy said...

Yeah, you're right.
I've been building a cathedral out of Lego for 935 years. The foundations look great. heh heh