Saturday, February 26, 2005

We'll always have Paris.


Incredibly, it's more than ten years since I visited Paris. Ten years!!! The thing is, I loved the city, but I visited it with some friends, and we were all heavily into drinking at that time, so my memories are a bit blurry.

I remember: February cold, fog and sunshine,; the kitsch and charm of EuroDisne; the squeaking wheels and rubber smell of the Metro; Sacre Coeur, the Musee D'Orsay (particularly the Van Gogh's, and especially the 'Wobbly Blue Church' - one of my favourite pictures).

Wobbly Blue Church

I also remember sitting on the steep steps of that museum's cafe, writing a poignantly phrased postcard to a woman I loved, but who didn't love me -- though we were great friends. I remember pouring my heart (and art) into that little white postcard space, as I wrote about the profound beauty of that Van Gogh, and what it meant to me, hoping that she would respond.

She didn't.

I still want to revisit Paris though -- strongly. This time, I'll be sober (most of the time), and I won't get lost in a haze of Kronenbourg, or have a blazing row about the best way back to the hotel. Probably. You never know though, do you?

Roll on Easter! 8o)

No comments: