Saturday, April 16, 2005

Hitched


I went to a friend's wedding today. I was feeling a bit low this morning, and considered not turning up, but, realising that this would be an act not only of rudeness and discourtesy, but a betrayal of trust and friendship, I forced myself to be happy and sociable.

I'm so glad I went.

The weather was bright and sunny, the church was lovely, and the service was simple and sincere. The ladies in the choir sang, and the organ's undertow offset their high harmonies. (When they sang on their own during the registration of the marriage, you could hear the dry creaking of their voices. Ah.)

At the reception, I realised that my friend had a whole circle of bright, warm, interesting people around her. She looked lovely, and the groom made a very touching speech, full of love and warmth. The best man's speech balanced wit, in-jokes, and profundity.



It was a privilege to be part of it.

Ahh.

No comments: