Wednesday, April 27, 2005

infectious book blogmeme


Mags sent me this. is fun. fill in your answers, then pass it on to three fellow blogsters...and so on. a benign virus.

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?


The Fog by James Herbert. If they tried to burn me, I'd just become steam, then settle back out as vapour or water. They'd never be able to destroy me. I would rule the world (nyhahahahahahahahahahaha).


Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?


Yes. As a teenager, I had a bit of a thing for Fuchsia, the daughter of the Earl of Groan, ruler of Gormenghast. This despite her gaucheness, immaturity, and strange looks -- I identified with that whole 'romantic adolescent' thing, I guess. (I also suspect that I was influenced by Mervyn Peake's beautiful, vivid prose, and by the seductive, intoxicating atmosphere of the place.) Christ...I've just remembered that I also had a crush on Irma Prunesquallor, the skeletal, myopic, horse-faced sister of the Earl's doctor. She's very severe and strange, and rather awful, but, again, there was something heady about the vividness with which her desperation, dysfunction and austerity was drawn, and about the way that she was drawn to the teenaged Steerpike, irresistibly and quite unselfconsciously. I recall her having a very long bath, and being all soft and hot and powdered in the steamy bathroom afterwards. The weird, intoxicating magic of love and lust, which appealed to my teenaged brain and body, seeped in hormones, frustration and loneliness. (This is probably too much detail for you, right?) :-p


The last book you bought:


Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman. I see it as a 'superior' kind of self-help book. I'm pretty interested in psychology, and especially in ways of reprogramming myself so that I'm happier, for more of the time.


The last book you read:


Four Quartets by T S Eliot. It's been on my shelf for years and years and years (it cost £1.95), and yet I've never read the whole thing. Contrary to what I remembered, the poems are mostly pretty accessible. I struggled (and still struggle) with some of the meaning/allusion/philosophical and religious contexts, but I felt I was getting the gist about rooting yourself in the now, and the human search for meaning in a meaningless world. I will reread them soon, I think. They're very cool and deep, like a slow stream deep in a forest. It's refreshing to step in, and you feel like something's happening to you.


What are you currently reading?


Amongst others -- Dresden by Frederick Taylor. It's about the devastating raid on the city at the end of World War 2, set in the historical contexts of: Dresden's long-term history; its Nazi era history (including its support for the party, its anti-semitism and its aramaments/electronics/optics industries); and the contexts of air war as it developed in WW2, and the military/political imperatives/desires at the tail-end of the war. I think it's intended as a corrective to the ideologically-charged and ahistorical interpretations of the raid, which have black- or white-washed things. I'm expecting a nuanced, troubling, morally-challenging work: such an awful event should be treated in that way.


Five books you would take to a desert island:


Opened Ground - Poems 1966-1996 by Seamus Heaney -- immense riches for mind, voice, and the senses; A la recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust -- I managed 1.5 (of 3) volumes in the Penguin translation a few years back, and I have so many great memories of them that I must finish it one day; Our Mutual Friend/David Copperfield by Charles Dickens -- dark, funny, atmospheric, and storytelling of great range, with wonderful use of language. The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake -- my comfort/nostalgia book. Cat's Eye by Margaret Attwood -- when I read this first, it just felt so true about what it is to be alive, and afraid, and in the world. Beautiful and profound.


Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why?


Hmm, I'll pass this onto Taeko, RedOne and the Urban Fox. Because they're all book-lovers, and I like hearing what they think about big sacks of words.

26 comments:

red one said...

oh bloody hell. I had a feeling this would happen to me when I saw Mags had got you. and i don't know what farenheit thingie is. I know about the Michael Moore one. My answers might take some time - I'm barely keeping up the blog pace as it is. But yes, I do like booky stuff...

Don't forget your madelines.

RedOne

Andy said...

f451 is as i recall the ignition temperature of paper. i think the book/film is set in a world where books are subversive, and are hunted down and burnt...but youve probly googled a better defnish by now huh?

Mags said...

RedOne, I wasn't familiar with F451 either, so I had to resort to getting some information >ahem< online. Welcome to the book meme!

Andy, thanks for participating - you've made me as happy as a little girl. Again.

And I, too, have a crush on fuschia. The color, though. :D

Andy said...

Of course, Urbox, of course...

:-)

red one said...

Fox - that's a clever idea.

Andy, can I do that too? Then you can cut and paste our respective answers with pithy asides of your own...

...Or possibly finish writing your novel, while you're waiting for me to catch up ;-)

RedOne

red one said...

PS - I'll google the farenheit thing when i've read the rest of your posts. First things first.

Andy said...

Red, please do use my blog for your stuff. Anything to boost my traffic! (I confess that I have a spreadsheet and count my visitors. Sad, eh?) :-)

red one said...

Spreadsheet? Blimey! I have enough problems coping with my favourites bar...

Andy said...

;-)

Andy said...

Thanks peeps.

I must agree that Swan is a neglected mantlepiece.

Andy said...

Taeko

glad to provide a distraction, my friend! 'hang tough', as they say.

Andy said...

Fox: science fiction: i had a massive SF phase in my teens (no friends, obviously). i remember the BBC did an adaptation of foundation on the radio. i had the foundation quadrilogy (nice neologism) in paperback, with Chris Foss covers (my favourite SF artist), and the four books slotted together in a rectangle so that all the covers combined to make a single image of a beautiful spaceship/starscape. that was soooooooo cool (even before 'cool' came back into the language).

if you're going to read any more SF, i recommend Ballard (esp. Crash, Low Flying Aircraft, The Terminal Beach, and The Drowned World), Dick (esp The Man in the High Castle and Confessions of a Crap Artist), William Gibson, and Niven and Pournelle (Lucifer's Hammer and The Mote in God's Eye). jeez, i'd forgotten i'd read all those books. how i do go on...

Andy said...

Arabian Nights? of course. i've got a four volume set of those in storage, and i miss them: they're amazingly clever, violent, beutiful, erotic and human, aren't they?

red one said...

I am so slow. When I started writing this, it would have gone in straight under Fox's choices. Oh well, better late than never...
RedOne

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

John Charlton’s It Just Went Like Tinder. This might be the only time that judging a book by its cover proves accurate. Actually, it’s a great book about the rise of the trade unions in Britain in the 1880s. Beginning, appropriately enough, with the matchgirls’ strike…

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

No. Never occurred to me. I really must stay in more.

The last book you bought:
Stop the war – the story of Britain’s biggest mass movement by Andrew Murray and Lindsey German, foreward by Tonny Benn. A useful recap of how the movement began and grew, debates inside it etc. Best bit: the recollection of various individuals scattered throughout, especially the school students. Love ‘em.

The last book you read:
The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh. The Vietnam war, by a Vietnamese author. I’ve read it before but I was having a 30th anniversary moment. That’s the anniversary of the US fleeing their own embassy in Saigon, not of me reading the book.

What are you currently reading?
Paul Foot’s The Vote – how it was won and how it was undermined. I swore I’d read this before the election, but my reading has been badly disruppted by being knackered. Paul Foot’s writing is great and normally I’d speed through anything of his. But the problem is, I want to be able to think about what I’m reading with this one.

Five books you would take to a desert island:

Ten Days that Shook the World. Always cheers me up. Collins English Dictionary – it’s the best one around and I love dipping into it. You go looking for a word you actually want to check and get sidetracked by something interesting. Karl Marx’s Capital, assuming someone’s produced some mega-edition with all three volumes in one. I’m very slow at economics – I need to count on my fingers as I go along – but presumably I’ll have plenty of time on the island. Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales - that handy Penguin Classics edition (I think) with the original olde English text and modern glosses. So I can think about language as well as the brilliant characterisation of the pilgrims and the not-always-gentle satire on their social positions.

Now the problem is, I want novels. I love novels. But I love lots of novels. Choosing one is a bit of a dilemma. But Urban Fox has already swiped the poetry anthology, so I’m clearly not going to get everything I want anyway. Hmm. It will have to be The Case of Comrade Tulayev by Victor Serge – my battered copy with Gareth Jenkins’ introduction. It’s a wonderful novel and it stands up well to repeated re-reading.

red one said...

Fox - I'd have gone for the Arabian Nights too.

In fact, I now wonder if I shouldn't have gone for five good novels, on the grounds that people get picked up from desert islands more quickly these days. You know, just enough for a week or so, with breaks for food scavenging, having a nice swim etc.

RedOne

Andy said...

Thanks One -- intriguing choices. I hear what you're saying (what a terrible phrase!!) about the Canterbury Tales: I studied bits of this at school, and over-analysed it to the point of tedium, and a point where the writing and characterisation disappeared onder the weight of scholarly interpretation. I bought a new Penguin edition last year (0r 2003?) and found the characters had revelatory depth and gritty authenticity...it came alive again. Hurrah!

Andy said...

R1...I think you've been watching too many Tom Hanks movies! (Personally, I think ONE Tom Hanks film is one too many....)

:-)

red one said...

I'm so lucky I never did Chaucer at school. The bigoted English teacher put me off 19th century literature and poetry entirely. The Canterbury Tales came along somewhere in my post-school attempts to get over the block.

RedOne

Andy said...

One other thing....in the early 90s, I worked with a guy who lived in a 'loft' in the old Bryant and May facory in East London. I was a doctrinaire Marxist in those days, and this juxtaposition of old labour struggle with bleached wood yuppiedom and gentrification always made me feel a bit weird...

red one said...

Tom Hanks films? eh? You've got me stumped. I'm not sure I've ever watched one, which probably explains why I haven't a clue what you're on about.
In ignorance,
RedOne

red one said...

You're right about Bryant and May's. It's a bloody disgrace. An important bit of working class heritage - not to mention an amazing building - sold off to yuppies AND GATED.
RedOne

Andy said...

1. Tom H got stranded on a desert island, lost weight, grew a beard, got rescued. Shagged if i can remember what it was called...and I don't even CARE!

2. Teachers can screw you up by accident/design, it's true.

3. Gated communities. Ick. Did I post something about St George's Hill in Surrey, where the Diggers set up their commune in the 1640s, and which is now a luxury estate and golf course? Blech! Have you read Christopher Hill's The World Turned Upside Down? It's a marvellous book (if you like history/politics/radical alternatives)

red one said...

I was going to stop commenting and eat. But I had to say: yes, I have read The World Turned Upside Down and it really is great.

I am obviously the only person on the planet not to have the faintest clue that Tom Hanks and Robinson Crusoe were in any way related.

Next week: RedOne finally hears that the earth is round...

Andy said...

heh heh heh...enjoy your sand-baked turtle, garnished with seaweed.

Andy said...

"ruched-brow just-about-to-burst-into-poignant -Oscar-winning-tears face"

That's a great phrase! :-)

Andy said...

I love the smell of long comment threads in the morning. Smells like...engagement. :-)