Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Watercooler neuroticism


Now, I'm not the world's most physical guy: I'm not the tallest, and I'm not the strongest. However, it appears that I am the only person in my office who can remove (empty) water canisters from the water cooler, and the only person who can take the empties downstairs, come back with a fresh one, and stick it on the spigot and make the big bubbles go "glulp, glulp, glulp".

There are a few people who are probably a bit too slight physically to carry 19 litres of water up a flight of stairs. But I've seen fit guys empty the cooler, or come to it and find that it's empty, and just walk away.

I couldn't do that: there's some nagging voice of social conscience/servility/consideration that says "It's empty. Someone should take responsibility and fix this aquatic shortfall." So I do.

It bugs me a bit that people can be so selfish.

4 comments:

red one said...

Wait till you become a totally self-absorbed statcounter watcher. Then you'll know what neurotic is ;-)
RedOne

Mags said...

What a nice guy you are!

Andy said...

Hm..."totally self-absorbed statcounter watcher". I can tick that one off...

Mags: how can I disagree? :-)

Andy said...

Taeko: we're twin Atlases, carrying the weight of the watery world on our shoulders. (I also sent an email around today about people's kitchen habits -- there have been far too many unmopped spills/crumbs in my office of late. We have to keep the standards up, eh?) :-)