Saturday, April 09, 2005

Spring diary


After the snow, the blue sky and the sun.

Lovely.

Some unmelted snow on my parents' lawn. This reminds me of my previous incarnation, as an enormous blob on the side of the great pyramid of Cheops:



And this is the tree on their front lawn. In a couple of weeks all the blossom will be out, white, white, white profusion:



I don't know how you'd calculate the number of atoms in a human body. But there's probably...100s of millions? trillions? Anyway, I think it's easy to forget how incredible it is that these millions and millions of atoms are all obeying the strict physical laws of the universe, and yet, in combination, they can make me me, and you you; how all your cells die and get replaced over time, and yet the structure of you, and of your personality, endures. It makes me dizzy to think about how wonderful and complex each one of us is. And it makes me resolve to feed and maintain my amazing structure better (tonight's beer and curry aside, of course...)

Carry on being amazing, all of you.

3 comments:

Andy said...

your blossom pics look great: what camera do you have? (i think my camera phone captures about 144 pixels...)

Andy said...

I'm sorry: I was sitting at the back, mucking about. I must learn to pay attention, I must learn to pay attention...

You're still getting some lovely results, even with the cheapo camera! :-)

Andy said...

you didn't sound pedantic in the least -- you just told the truth! ;-)