Monday, March 21, 2005

Fine Lines


Driving home after evening class tonight, I was thinking about something that somebody had said about one of the 'read aloud' pieces. Coming up to the traffic lights, I was not really paying attention, and just following the rear lights of the car in front. The driver must have jumped the lights, and I followed on, 20 yards or so behind. By the time I realised what had happened, I was halfway across the junction, with the cross-traffic moving. Fortunately, the lead car from the left was turning into the road I'd just come out of, so they were moving slowly, and stopped easily. There was nothing coming from the right, thank goodness.

I accelerated away from the junction, frightened. How easy it is to lose concentration; to wreck your car; to hurt someone; to kill someone; to die. Just moments of inattention between you and those consequences.

Concentrate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the reason why I really like this ( I don`t know who wrote it): Dream as if you`ll live forever, live as if you`ll die today!

Andy said...

I like that, too. It's pretty wise!

red one said...

It was James Dean, who died very young...
RedOne

Andy said...

Ah, ta. I'll aim not to emulate him.