Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Impossible Reading Lists


I think that my life has been a triumph/defeat of aspiration over achievability. Nowhere has this been more evident than in the way that I have eternally bought more books than I could ever read in the time available. This is a habit that continues to this day: I think "Oh, that's interesting/I have to know about that", and so I buy the book(s). My intent is good -- I really do want to know/understand -- but there's only so much time, ain't there? And all those unread books I've got in store...and the books of my own that I have to write. Shit -- there just isn't enough time. Guess I'll either (a) have to live longer; (b) retire earlier; or (c) spend less time pissing about, and more time reading/writing.

7 comments:

red one said...

...or (d) give up blogging.
But don't! There's really good writing on your blog, so you are writing something. Though I'm not sure that reading your own blog can really be counted as catching up on the stuff you haven't read...
RedOne

red one said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andy said...

You're too kind.

Thanks.

;-)

red one said...

The double-posting was in fact a bloggerism. I'm not that kind. ;-)

Andy said...

Yeah you are. Despite your Britishness (?), don't be bashful about being enthusiastic and 'giving'. :-)

In fact, all readers should put 'Massage Andy's Ego' on a diary card: bi-weekly.

red one said...

Blimey, I'm not often accused of Britishness! I'm off to check my upper lip for stiffness in the mirror ;-)
RedOne

Andy said...

You remind me of David Niven in A Matter of Life and Death.

Have you seen it? That opening sequence with him talking to Kim Hunter over the radio from his burning bomber makes my eyes prick with tears every time. Ahh. (Don't get me started about It's a Wonderful Life or ET...)