Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Ironic, naturally


My 'strangelandscape' blog title is ironic, of course: it's not strange, and it's not a landscape. How could it be strange? -- I'm a pretty quiet, mainly safety-seeking bloke who's lived a pretty narrow life.

I'm an overpolite, conservative (small 'c'), forty-two year old middle class male who's never lived abroad, and who's spent less than four months out of Britain in 42 years. I've always lived within 100 miles of my birthplace. I've never been married or had children. I've never had a motorbike. I've never written a string quartet (and doubt I ever will). I've never climbed a mountain, and I have never been to a desert. The only substantial bodies of water I've swum in are the North Sea, the English Channel, the Bristol Channel, and the Pacific. I have never eaten a chocolate-covered insect (at least, not knowingly).

I have never drunk Pina Colada, nor got caught in the rain while doing so.

I haven't had any near-death experiences (touch wood). I have never been flabbergasted by someone making a (long suppressed) declaration of love for me, and neither have such long-suppressed declarations of my own been rewarded with a reciprocal declaration. I haven't been to the top of the Empire State building. I haven't been to China. I have been to me, though.

My horizons are narrower than I'd like.

None of this is bad, and it doesn't make me angry with myself. It's just an observation.

How could my blog be exotic and strange? It couldn't, could it?

1 comment:

Andy said...

Sadly, that was a deliberate quotation of Charlene. (That's the first time I've ever cited her, though...)