Sunday, March 06, 2005

Please sir, I want some more.


There are some things I don't do enough of, and which I enjoy:

  • Buying cut flowers and sticking 'em in a vase: tulips, I like a lot -- they're so elegant and beautifully shaped, and they retain their dignity, even in an advanced state of decay; irises -- I love the rich purple, with the yellow, white and black (?), especially those little spotty bits that look like leopard skin; lilies, with their penetrating scent and silky smooth petals, and that wonderful crisp structure and rigidity.

  • Singing aloud.

  • Making curry sauce: I love that mixed, fragrant sizzle when the garlic, ginger and chillies hit the hot oil...especially on a summer Saturday evening, with the kitchen window open, and the sound of neighbours laughing in their gardens.

  • Burning scented candles. Especially vanilla flavoured ones.

  • Feeling strong: I've got soft and flabby since my bike accident. I need the daily burn of exercise, and the endorphin-rich brain of a healthy person. I want my legs to feel like they're coiled springs, or pistons, rather than like wobbly columns of porridge.


Sort it out, Corsham.

No comments: