Thursday, March 17, 2005

Minky Manky Moan in 3/4 Time


Now, you know I'm not one to complain, but...bugger this.

I want to trade in my body for one that I can rely on. Today, I started off feeling like crap -- no energy, could barely keep my eyes open, my ears were buzzing, and I was mega-irritable -- outstanding!

I was planning to go home and rest, but then I got an energy burst that lasted for a couple of hours, during which I went out, amidst the warm sunshine and sweet smell of blossom blowing off the trees, and bought a distinctly attractive baguette (can you get bagus? are they bigger?) -- mozzarella, basil mayonnaise, and sun-desiccated tomatoes. My enjoyment of this delight was somewhat compromised by someone elucidating a story about medical rot and purulence when I was halfway through my bread-based munchery, and thereafter my energy levels took a massive tumble. By hometime I was knackered and irritable again...perfect!

My spirits were rallied in Sainsbury's by some hilarious 'cheeky cockerney boy' banter with sparkling-eyed sales assistant, and then it was back to my wee hovel to survey the wreckage of my virus-ravaged day. It wasn't pretty: there was a half-devoured shrew on the back step, courtesy of next door's snipey ginger cat, and the dead mammal's wizened head and exposed spine (so delicate and pale in the early dusk) didn't inspire me to cook up the mole I've had in the freezer since Michaelmas.

So...I've given up on the day, and will comfort myself (in truly immature fashion) with the nuts and lager that I'd ordinarily have on Friday night. (This week, I need to keep myself fresh for an early start on Saturday, as I've got a 300-mile round trip to the east coast, taxiing maw and paw over to my god mother's place.

Doubtless I will be back later with more lager-inspired self-centred, self-pitying drivel. What an attraction that will be!

Or maybe John C will cheer me up again. Ah, the mystery and tantalisation...

Toodle pip.

No comments: